Friday, April 20, 2007

Modern Technology ...

Last Sunday, after a very wet day at church, we arrived home. I was sitting on the bed nursing Selena when we heard some talking nearby. Very nearby, in fact. It sounded like someone was in the room with us!

Mr. S and I looked at each other frowningly. I continued to feed the baby while he looked out the window. Was someone outside on this wet day?

I came up with the bright idea that our baby monitor might be picking up a phone conversation. Mr S kept putting his ear to the monitor, squinting in concentration. Nothing. The phone was cradled on its hook, and both of our cell phones were downstairs.

I think we were both starting to get the heebie jeebies when the unthinkable happened.

We heard the voice calling Mr. S's name ... once, again ... and again.

For those of you who know me, you know how big my eyes can get when I am frightened. Visions of God calling Samuel out loud in the night flashed through my head. I also started to think about every scary movie I had ever watched!

I could tell Mr. S was scared too. I clutched my precious baby closer.
"I will protect you no matter what, darling!"

Then I realized suddenly and thankfully what it was.

"BLUE TOOTH***!" I blurted.

Mr. S's hand flew to his pocket and pulled out the offending piece of plastic. "Hello?" he said.
"Hello?" the voice said.

Sigh of relief. Modern technology. Clearly, too advanced for us!


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



In a completely unrelated stream of thought, I just want to thank God for the wonderful weather He has given us. I plan to spend time outside just basking in it. Thank you, Lord. I can't think of a better day. Beautiful weather, and time with my husband and daughter.

*** (Edit) I have been asked to define a Bluetooth.
I should have done so before, because before my hubby got one -- I didn't know what it was either.

It looks like this ...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

(I got this pic from Wikipedia)

A Bluetooth is basically a wireless device ... in our case, it connects to my husbands cell phone and allows him to talk hands - free. He wears it on his ear.

11 comments:

Beka said...

Hee hee-- that was so funny! You must have been TERRIFIED!!
Honestly, I don't really even know what Blue Tooth is... you can tell I'm really up on the latest technology!
And yes, I too am thankful for this beautiful weather! Hope you enjoy your day!

Maxine said...

This is too funny!!!You know how I feel about all this technology. I don't know where it's all going to end up for all of us.

Cosette said...

Okay, I'm really feeling stupid---What in the world is 'Blue Tooth?' You really must leave a message and define this for us :) And yes, we finally have some nice weather here too. Snow storm on Monday, summer on Friday. Go figure!!

TO BECOME said...

Wow, I hardly know what to do with a blog but a bluetooth, that is way out of my thinking process. I am glad it was not anything bad. connie from Texas

Beba said...

Cute. At list you were thinking of Biblical things :). God bless your family, your day and the rest of your lives!
Love
Beba

Anonymous said...

Wow, I was so facinated reading that post and nearly burst of tension what might have happened, so I really laughed out loud with the explanation.

My boss keeps sitting on his cell and unintentionally pressing buttons and calling people this way. I'm just waiting till the day someone hears a conversation, that they weren't supposed to hear at all, just because they picked up the phone.

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

Oh, so funny! My heart was in my throat a little bit, too! :)
I'm thankful for the weather, too!

Sara said...

that is funny!!! I would have been terrified too...

Stacy said...

~smile~

I'm so relieved I'm not the only one who didn't know what that was! I mean, I assumed it was something technological, making noise... but I've never heard of a Blue Tooth! :)

~Stacy

Praise and Coffee said...

That is cute...I was scared for a moment too!
I found you on CWO, I hit random and your site came up.

Nice to meet you!

Danielle said...

That is so hilarious Beverly. I've just barely gotten a handle on the whole blogging thing, and I can't even figure out how to turn on a trac phone... I can remember the day we got an actual VCR in our house and watched "Neverending Story". I had my nest of blankets and animals built in front of the TV and it was something else..