Saturday, July 12, 2008

Something to meditate on until I post again ...

Photobucket

"If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water." John 4:10

O weary Man, footsore and sorrowful, sitting thus on the well, asking for a draught of water at the hands of a poor sinful woman -- you are my Lord and my Redeemer; I believe in you, I love you, I worship you!

Nearly two thousand years have passed since you spoke the sweet words which are now comforting my heart, yet with what power and solace, and blessing, do they come to me at this moment!
'If thou knewest.' Lord, you have told me who you are,you have in mercy revealed yourself to me, I know you to be that blessed 'gift of God' which alone can save and satisfy my soul. The depth and compass of heavenly love are manifested in you, and you have shown me, not my need only, but the sufficiency of your grace and power to meet it.
I am an empty sinner, you are a full Christ!
'Thou wouldest have asked.' This, too, O blessed One, you have taught me and enabled me to do; and my heart's constant cry, Lord give me this living water, is familiar to your listening ears! It is yourself I want; Lord, 'My soul thirsteth after thee, as a thirsty land.'
Not your gifts, not your grace, nor even your glory, could satisfy the desire of a soul which you have made to long for yourself. You, the Giver of all other precious things, are yourself the choicest, the 'unspeakable' gift! Lord, into the thirst of my empty heart pour the full stream of your living love! Give me yourself, or I die!
And having asked, I believe you do give, for your own lips have said it, 'He would have given', and I whisper softly to myself the blessed words, 'Who loved ME and gave himself for ME,' realizing the sacred, overflowing joy of pardoned sin, and peace with God, filling and satisfying my soul.
So, dear Lord, my spirit, like a weary bird, folds her wings beside this sweet well-spring of comfort, creeps into this blessed 'cleft of the rock,' and is at rest.
-Susannah Spurgeon- from Free Grace and Dying Love