Friday, March 02, 2007

Rest ...

"What happens when we withdraw from the clamor of a sinful world and enter into the serenity available in God's green pastures?
We experience the same sense of rejuvenation, the same revival of spirit, the same deep satisfaction that literal sheep enjoy when resting in the presence of a faithful shepherd."

- Elizabeth George-
Powerful Promises for Every Woman

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Now ... what should be a short story made longer by excessive wordiness...
Don't laugh, friends. Ok, if you must. You see, on Wednesday evening after a wonderful visit from my parents and sister, I was putting Miss S (my little Selena), to bed. On my way back downstairs, I found myself tumbling down the steps sideways until I reached the bottom with a resounding smack. Maybe I shouldn't speak so passively! Basically, I fell down the steps.

Of course, my husband was horrified as he picked me up from the floor. I was laughing, but could not deny that I was a little hurt.

That night, things progressed and my whole left side was aching and stiff. I waited for Miss S's last feeding and then fortified myself with Motrin. I was also suffering from a bad cold.

Miss S had a bad night. I don't know if she is getting more teeth or not, but at 2:30am, 3:55am, and 4:30am, I had to tell her softly, "Its not time to get up my love." She didn't protest, just cried softly into her mattress before going quickly back to sleep. I sighed, coughed, and limped back to bed each time to lie awake and stare at the ceiling.

The morning did not find me well. I had almost no voice, and was aching from head to toe.

However, yesterday I received the wonderful gift of rest.

"He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters, He restores my soul." Psalm 23:2-3a

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I was in so much pain that I couldn't get caught up in all the busyness yesterday. By necessity I rested. I had time to pray and meditate and read books in my funny, froggy voice to my daughter. I had time to make cookies for my husband. Miss S was loving and quiet. She seemed to sense that Mommy needed her to be gentle. I had time to just be. Its amazing how a day like this just energizes you for the days ahead. I consider it a gift.

This morning, I felt so ready to tackle life! I'm also looking forward to our real day of rest on Sunday. Have a blessed one.


7 comments:

Andrea said...

So glad you got your rest. But sorry for the spill! I know it was scary, but glad you are ok. :)

Maxine said...

Oh My! You've really been through it! Every time I think about that fall, I get upset. Back to your glad game, I'm so glad you weren't carrying the baby!So glad she gave you that restful day yesterday. See--she's being a helper already! Thanks for the precious thoughts in this post.
luv,mama

Beka said...

What a sweet post! I especially enjoyed the pictures, of course! I think she REALLY looks like her mommy in the second picture.

You poor dear-- what a week you've been having! I am so glad you weren't hurt seriously in that fall, and as Nanna said, that you weren't carrying Lena.

Glad you were able to get some needed rest and reflection yesterday!

Anonymous said...

Selena just keeps getting prettier! I can't wait to see and hold her. So glad you are ok! Thanks for your encouraging reflections...they seem to come to my attention at just the right moments.
CK

Sara said...

Wow, that must have been scary! (falling down the steps) I can't wait to see you tomorrow, and I'm glad you weren't hurt.

Ms. Smoochy said...

This really was a lovely post. I'm glad you're feeling rejuvenated!

Your daughter is amazingly beautiful!

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

That's so strange - almost like the fall sent you into a cold! I'm glad you were not seriously injured! :)
And I'm so happy you are ready to tackle life again! Quotes like Ms. George's are so inspiring!