Even though fall is my favorite season, there's a lot to love about summer! One of my favorite things is that we grill about three times a week minimum. At lunchtime, I whip up a marinade, pour it into a ziploc bag or glass dish, and let it sit in the fridge until E gets home.
While he's outside grilling, the girls play and I prepare the rest of the meal. I don't know how many of you use the Pioneer Woman's recipes, but we are fans!
I wanted to share one of new favorite summer side dishes which is just mouthwatering with grilled chicken, steak, or pork:
Katie's Roasted Corn Salad
8 fresh corn ears
1 red onion, quartered
2 yellow squash, halved lengthwise
1 red bell pepper
2 medium tomatoes
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
12 basil leaves, cut into chiffonade
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1. Begin by heating a grill pan (or outdoor grill). Drizzle the grill with olive oil. Place the corn on the grill and drizzle liberally with olive oil.
I love drizzling with olive oil. It's my life.
2. Grill for 5-8 minutes, until the corn is beginning to brown.
3. Drizzle the onion with olive oil and grill just until it starts to become tender. Do not allow to overcook as you'll want the onion to remain somewhat firm.
4. Repeat with halved summer squash and red bell pepper. Allow vegetables to cool slightly after grilling.
5. Roughly chop the onion, squash, and pepper. With a sharp knife, scrape the corn kernels from the cob. Dice the tomatoes and add them to the mix.
6. To make the dressing, in a separate bowl, pour the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and whisk together until combined.
7. Finally, add the basil, a dash of salt, and garlic and whisk together.
8. Serve with tortilla chips and crackers, or spoon on top of grilled chicken. Delicious!
This recipe came from The Pioneer Woman Cooks Cookbook by Ree Drummond